Monday, December 31, 2012

Heartbeat....s?

Every couple of days, Hubby and I pull out the heart Doppler and check in on the little one. It's helped to keep my fears and nerves at bay, and given us reassurance that everything is fine. And seeing as this is the longest span we've gone without an ultrasound, let me tell you, it's a blessing to have!

Over the last couple of weeks, we've been able to pick up the heartbeat on the left side of my abdomen. It's loud and clear and the Doppler says it ranges between 120-140. So this whole time we've been assuming the little one is most likely a boy. Simply based upon the heart beat reading. They say low heart beat is boy, and fast is usually a girl.

However, Saturday when we decided to listen, things got a little complicated. Most Dopplers won't give you an accurate reading until about 12 weeks, which is tomorrow. So it's not bazaar that we started picking up on a much faster heart beat. On the left side was still 120-140. But I began scanning all around and ended up on the right side. At which time, a much quicker thumping began to come over the speaker. And the Doppler began sky rocketing from 120 to 130 to 140 to 150 to 160 to 170! And that slower little pace was now a racing little baby's heart.

But as we sat there and listened to this much faster beat, I could still hear the slower beat as well. Now Hubby assumed that the slower had to be my heart beat. Which could in fact be true. But I found it quite odd that I could hear both, at the same time. Now I'm not insinuating that there might be two in there, but it was a little freaky.

Anyone have a similar experience? 

Is this just my heart beat and the baby's?

Is it possible they missed another little sac hiding behind it's sibling?

I guess we'll find out Thursday at our next ultrasound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment