Friday, September 10, 2010

First Appointment

Sitting patiently in the doctor's office, my husband and I nervously await our test results. As suspected, IVF it is. The doctor begins going over all the paper work, which is basically like signing a mortgage. Birth control pill for 3 weeks, 3 sets of injections to be taken over a month's worth of time, egg retrieval and implantation. Awesome. The girl petrified of needles gets to inject herself at least once a day.


My husband of course, who enjoys anything to do with the medical profession, is actually excited. He throws his arm in the air then slams it down to his leg, imitating how the shot will go. Our doctor turns to me and says "Note to self: do not allow your husband to do the injections!". That lightened the mood a little.

I must say, we have had a pretty good sense of humor about the whole thing. We try to take things in the best way possible: humorously. Sometimes, that's the only way to deal with this.

The truth is, I'm not terribly surprised that we ended up here. I had had several surgeries on my ovaries when I was in college. I've always had this fear in the back of my mind. Intuition is probably a better word to use than fear.

Just a quick note: Most people who hear IVF, immediately think of multiple births. Thankfully, the doctor put our worries to rest. You are more likely to have multiples by doing IUI (insemination) vs IVF. With IVF they can control the number of embryos implanted. Although I continue to have this strange feeling that we'll be having twins. I've dreamt about it and I just feel it. I don't feel like I am going to go through this cycle again. Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that your going to share your experience with everyone. It's a wonderful thing to have this as an option and I wish your and Chris the best of luck! Thinking of you both and looking forward to following your journey to the end, the birth of a wonderful baby...or two! ; )

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete