Friday, March 4, 2011

Cervical Mucus

So we've pretty much decided that we will be holding off on the next round of IVF for awhile. I've started to really read into the NaPro and the tracking system they use to figure out if my cycle is working correctly. For those of you who know me, you know that I've had some stomach & intestinal issues this past year, along with ovary issues. I can't help but wonder if this is all tied to or effecting everything.

I do want to share what I've learned. (Pardon me if I'm repeating anything.) Women have two flows: their red flow, and their white flow. We all know what the red flow is, however most women don't know about their white flow. Not to be graphic, but for years I've wondered what "that" white stuff is. Apparently, prior to ovulation, several days after you menstruate, woman start to get a white discharge. The consistency changes as your hormone levels change. What you want to look for is a clear, stretchy discharge that is expelled when you ovulate. (Kind of looks like egg whites.) This is the most fertile time during your cycle. (How many of you knew that? Because I sure as hell didn't.) To accurately check your hormone level, a doctor may ask you to take a sample to have tested. To better describe this process:

Right around ovulation (high chance of pregnancy):
At this stage, mucus resembles egg whites. It is the thinnest, clearest and most abundant at this point in the cycle. Finger testing will allow the mucus to stretch quite a ways (several centimeters) before it breaks (if it breaks at all). ) The amount of this thin mucus will steadily increase until you experience your ‘mucus peak’. This is the last day of this period where the chance of conception is high. It is closely tied to ovulation. During this phase, the sperm’s survival rate is higher. It can survive in cervical mucus for up to 72 hours, a significantly longer time than during the rest of the cycle.

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/cervical-mucus.html

What have I learned? I'm starting to think I only have one truly great day of "fertileness". I am hoping that the NaPro doctor will help me to better understand this process and really explain what I should be looking for. So for the time being, we are trying to fun way to make a baby on my one peak day, and waiting for our appointment with the NaPro man.

4 comments:

  1. I wasn't sure whether or not to explain that was what we track - it is a little bit graphic as you said. Dr. Carpentier will probably be better able to explain it than I would, which is why I held off on explaining what to look for and track. What is the actual day of your appointment? You are in our prayers as you discover this method to learning about your fertility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You learn something new everyday! Thinking and praying for you two. Miss you guys xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always knew there was a connection - but didn't know the full part of that... I like your insight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few reasons why women have hostile cervical mucus, most commonly because it’s too thick for fertilization to take place successful.
    acid

    ReplyDelete