Friday, April 8, 2011

Guest Blogger: Devon McIver

Hello eat. cry. scream. readers!  My name is Devon, I write a little vegetarian blog over at ijustspitoutbacon.blogspot.com.  I've known Celia since our second year of college.  I've kept in touch with her over the years because she is an amazing individual, and she went ahead and married one of my best friends.  She knows how to pick 'em.  Last summer when I was up in Massachusetts making the summer vacation rounds, my boyfriend and I stayed a night with Chris and Celia.  They made us a delicious vegan feast, we caught up on what was new in each others lives, and they told us about their journey to start a family.  I need to put it out there that I support both Chris and Celia completely in their choice to start a family, however they chose to do so.  I also should add that I think its incredibly courageous that she is openly sharing the whole process from start to finish, I think she is building an incredible resource for the rest of the families out there who are contemplating IVF. 

So what exactly is a gay guy doing writing on a blog about IVF?  After recruiting Celia to guest blog for me about being a vegan and working to start a family, she asked that I write for her, to give the same sex couple's opinion on babies.  I will be honest, I don't know a lot about the IVF process.  I don't even know a whole lot about that cave of wonders the lady-folk got going on down south.  So I set off to do some research, and by research I mean watching the Focus Features documentary, Babies.

So if you haven't seen this little gem, you really need to check it out, its streaming on Netflix.  The documentary focuses on the the first year of life of four babies from four completely different cultures and geographic areas. 

It also makes you want a baby, at least for the time you spend watching it. 

The movie does a nice job of showing you the babies at similar developmental stages, and in some instances doing similar things, such as interacting with a family pet.  The differences between the different cultures and how the babies are raised is fascinating to say the least.  You'll cringe as the baby from Mongolia seems to wander around the steppe unwatched and wonder if his older brother is a future sociopath...and laugh as you see the baby from Tokyo become utterly frustrated while playing with her toys.

So is a family in my future?  I have no idea.  Sometimes I think about how exhausting it is to have a dog, and I get to leave her home everyday to fend for herself.  The prospect of having a child both terrifies and intrigues me.  For the immediate future I think I'll stick to playing with other people's kids and handing them back when they start crying or need to be changed.  Maybe some day in the future I'll start a family, after all how else am I supposed to further the homosexual agenda?

No comments:

Post a Comment